Tuesday, October 9, 2007

#2 Lifelong Learning: Seven and 1/2 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners

Watched the tutorial and found it interesting. Of course, I was kinda bad and imagined how I would have narrated it.

So, first off, here are the habits:

1. begin with the end in mind
2. accept responsibility in your own learning
3. view problems as challenges
4. have confidence in yourself as a competent, effective learner
5. create your own learning toolbox
6. use technology to your advantage
7. teach and mentor others
.5. play!

Hmm. I think I should relate this to one of my current goals. I want to learn sign language. I have a good friend in TX and it irritates me to no end that when we get to actually met up we have to rely on texting, pen and paper, or an interpretor to communicate. I would like to be able to talk to him on my own.

The easiest of these for me would have to be either 1 or 7.5. It's easy to start something when you have a goal in mind. What's the use in starting if you can't see yourself accomplishing it? My goal is to have a conversation with my friend without resorting to other means of communication. And play is simple. We could tell jokes or hurl insults at each other.

The hardest for me with my current goal would have to be 4. I'm horrible when it comes to languages, so it's already hard enough for me to have confidence in my ability to learn the signs. But ASL (American Sign Language) is more like French due to it's origins. So I have to translate my thoughts into sign, but then I also have to translate my English into French, so to speak. It's so hard (I don't want to hear anything out of you, Mel). But I wouldn't mind just knowing Pidgin. And it might be easier if I had someone to practice with. Learning a language on your own is just so difficult.

No comments: