Friday, December 7, 2007

#19 Social Networking

Well, I'm to old to really get any use out of two of the sites, I'm not a professional, and Bookspoke just annoyed me. That means I have to fall back on the two sites I've dealt with.

MySpace is a good place to go if you want to keep track of you favorite artists and authors. Now even some publishing companies are posting web exclusive (or so they claim) material. I watch Dark Horse Comics and am about to start watching Del Ray Manga. You can also keep in touch with your friends and all that, of course.

Facebook is a bit more fun. It serves the same basic functions as MySpace but it also has loads of applications you can add to your account to kill time, better show your interests, or just make it more interesting. This is where I keep track of my books instead of Librarything. The Virtual Bookshelf just seems so much more inviting to me. Also, this site is more about person to person than person to celebrity.

I don't really see how these would help the library. Maybe if we had more/regular teen programs we could get their input or patrons could get in touch with someone who orders certain books. Or maybe getting authors to visit. But other than that i don't really see much use for it in the library.

No comments: